Residents living in the Carmel Highlands FPD are invited to participate in the 2023 Residential Chipper Program. The Chipper Program is funded by the Carmel Highlands FPD to assist with the disposal of hazardous fuels. Property owners who remove vegetative material from their property to reduce the wildland fire hazard can have the material chipped and disposed of at no cost. The chipped material will be removed from the site. Alternately, the chips may be left on site at the request of the property owner. The chipping will begin on the North end of the fire district and progress to the South. Due to the drought and the popularity of the program, the chipping contractor is processing large volumes of material and it may take several days to reach each neighborhood. No sign up necessary. No appointments will be made and no deviation from the planned route will occur. Your cooperation and patience is appreciated.
Requirements to participate in the program:
- Start placing limbs by the road no earlier than one week prior to chipping dates.
- All cut limbs must be stacked (no higher than 4 feet) along the roadside, no later than 8:00 am
- Stacked neatly with the butt end perpendicular to the road.
- All limbs/branches/brush must be no more than 6 inches in diameter and may be any length.
- All material to be chipped must be clear of metal objects (no nails or other objects in the wood).
- No genista.
- No poison oak.
- No bamboo.
- No vines.
- No brush.
Residential Chipping Program Dates 2023
February 13 - 24, 2023
July 24 – August 4, 2023
October 2 – 13, 2023
December 4 – December 15, 2023
**Due to recent storms there will be an additional chipping June 5 - June 16, 2023**
If you need more information contact the Fire Prevention office at 831-375-9644.